10 Richest Criminals of the World
The road to success is never easy and sometimes not even straight. Most of us follow the advisable path receiving a formal education and securing a decent job, which will pay us to be the millionaires or billionaires slowly and gradually. However, there are a few people in this world who defy every law and advisable “Road to Success” and take a more twisted path to do a “business”, whose idea is anything but fair. In doing so they have become the world’s top billionaires and the most wanted criminals.
Amongst all the criminal kingpins who ever walked on this planet, here are the 10 sensational and most wanted richest criminals of the world:
1. Pablo Escobar ($25 Billion):Born in Colombia, Escobar was a member of Medellin Cartel, a Colombia based network of world’s most ruthless and richest drug suppliers. By 1982 Medellin Cartel alone was supplying 84%- 90% of the cocaine to the US and 80% to the global market. Escobar did not have an easy start into the industry and made it from rags to riches. He had a small family and in less than a decade’s time he became world’s most known drug kingpin with an estimated net worth of $25 billion. ‘Narcos’ is a show based on Escobar’s life and is doing rounds on Netflix.
2.Joseph Kennedy ($400 Million):Being the ambassador to the United Kingdom and president John F. Kennedy’s father was not enough for Joseph Kennedy. Although belonging to a very wealthy and affluent family,
Kennedy made his killing by selling bootleg alcohol during the prohibition. He earned millions during prohibition and reinvested the money in real estate and earned even more. He had been very close with crime lord and kingpins from some of the most infamous crime families and have been worth billions today.
3. Zhenli Ye Gon ($300 Million):The journey of being one of the most notorious criminals in the world’s history for Zhenli started with being an executive in a pharmaceutical company in Mexico, wherein he would import pseudoephedrine from China. After netting a lot of money from this, he settled in Mexico and he is also a member of Sinaloa Cartel. Although some of his assets including $200 million in US dollars had been seized, Gon’s charges are still pending. Where we have only ever dreamt of being rich in just one country, Gon had his money from Mexico, Europe and Hong Kong hidden in his hideout. Woot!
4. Joaquín Guzmán Loera ($1 Billion):Joaquín Guzmán Loera is not just the head of Sinaloa Cartel Mexico, he is the only criminal kingpin to have been named as the most powerful people on earth and as Public Enemy Number One by Forbes magazine since 2009. He is one of the most influential persons in the drug dealing business starting in 2003. Loera surprisingly invested 8 years to entice prison guards at Guatemalan
prison using his vast wealth to let him walk free in 2001, post his arrest in 1993. This did not go well with the US and Mexican police, who announced heavy rewards for his whereabouts. After 13 years of searching they finally caught Loera who only obliged peacefully.
5. Griselda Blanco ($2 Billion):A female drug lord is only too dangerous. And so falls true for Griselda Blanco, one of the most ruthless female drug lord of her time. A leader of the Medellin Cartel in Colombia, Blanco had her shop in Miami and brought tons of cocaine in the US every year. Her cruel and cold-blooded behaviour earned her the name of The Black Widow. Ironically Blanco, who invented motorcycle ride-by killing during her years in 70’s, was shot dead by a motorcyclist on September 3 2012.
6. Meyer Lansky ($400 Million):A Russian immigrant Lansky moved to New York’s lower east side in 1911 with his parents. Starting with running a floating crap game with Bugsy Siegel by 1918, Lansky graduated into highly rewarding auto theft and resale. By 1920s Lansky’s gang spread their wings to burglaries, liquor smuggling, and other rackets. Lansky came under crime boss Giuseppe Masseria’s contact and he along with Siegel formed a squad of hired professional assassins, which later became the prototype of Murder, Inc., headed by notorious criminals Louis Buchalter and Albert Anastasia.
7. Khun Sa ($5 Billion):Khun Sa was a noted criminal dealing in drugs and money yielding weapons smuggling department. Trained in battle at a very young age, Khun Sa had his own army during Chinese Civil War. The army gradually grew and began dealing in weapons and opium smuggling. His dominance in the market grew from just 5% to a whopping 90%. He tried selling his opium fields to Australia for $400 but they refused. Although most wanted for the US government, Khun Sa lived his final years peacefully in Burma as the Burmese government did not extradite him.
8. Al Capone ($1.3 Billion):US’s most notorious gangster Al Capone moved to Chicago from New York to become bodyguard to alcohol smugglers during prohibition. Because of lack of technological advances, Al Capone was never arrested. He was liked by the common gentry but was sentenced to prison for 11 years on tax crimes but only served 8 and died of a cardiac arrest few
9. Carlos Lehder ($2.7 Billion):Lehder was one of the founders of Medellin Cartel in Colombia and smuggled cocaine into South Florida (one of the happening places in 1980’s). He met George Jung after he got arrested at a very young age for a car theft in Connecticut. They are known to be really close to each other. After they were released, the duo started selling cocaine and made enough money to buy a stolen plane to cut out the middleman. This is how Lehder made his fortunes, but he was caught by the Feds and is still serving his term in jail for illegal smuggling.
10. Rafael Caro Quintero ($650 million):The founder of Guadalajara Cartel in Mexico, Quintero started this business with his brother. Not a classical family business as are seen today, but the bro gang made a lot of money. Quintero was wanted for various murders as a part of the cartel and was sentenced to jail for 40 years in 1985. But he wasn’t accused for drug smuggling. He was released in 2014 and is at large, but still wanted by the Interpol.
There are good chances of you being a millionaire without turning your focus on crime. But some have surpassed all the fear of law and order and have taken the riskiest bet to quickly become rich. This gets them to the top
undoubtedly, but there is always a threat of someone trying to knock them off and maybe that’s why criminal pays so well. They lose it as quickly as they gain it and to some the rewards costed them a decreased life expectancy.
Share this article with all your friends who have been really inquisitive about the crime world after watching the newest TV series Narcos on Netflix. Like this article if you find it interesting and comment below if you have any other interesting info to share.